Wild Blueberry Press Release
August is Wild Blueberry Month
August 27, 2019
On Sunday, August 11 from 10 am to 3pm join us for The annual Wild Blueberry Celebration, at Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto where wild blueberries can be enjoyed in a myriad of sweet treats and savoury dishes available from more than 20 food and beverage producers, bakers and chefs.
- Sample Van Dyk’s 100% Pure Wild Blueberry Juice, made from fresh picked Nova Scotia wild blueberries, and taste the new wild blueberry wheat beercreated for the occasion by Goodlot Farmstead Brewing Co.
- Stop by the Sipping Container to try this year’s new, exclusive “Too Wild to be Blue” wild blueberry cider, made for the occasion in partnership with Brickworks Ciderhousefrom fresh-pressed Ontario apples and Canadian wild blueberries
- Sample delectable wild beverages and snacks at the food court
- Enjoy children’s wild blueberry cooking activities, and arts and crafts, in the Children’s Garden
- Sample wild blueberry treats fresh from the Café Belong bake oven
- Engage with local chefs and watch vendor demos in the market to discover innovative ways to enjoy this year-round, fresh or frozen fruit
Join Christine Tizzard, celebrity chef and author of Honest to Goodness: Recipes for the Everyday Home Cook, who will be leading a wild blueberry culinary demo at 11:00 am with recipes and samples from her upcoming cookbook to be published by Penguin Random House.
She is available for interviews and in-studio cooking demonstrations to share her knowledge of the tiny but potent fruit. Her new seasonal wild blueberry recipes include:
- Vegan wild blueberry curry dal (lentils)
- Wild blueberry risotto with wild mushrooms and market greens
- Wild blueberry grilled cheese sandwiches
- Wild blueberry turkey tacos
Christine Tizzard, The 3 Way Chef, is a Maritime-born chef, food stylist, recipe developer and a lifelong lover of Canadian wild blueberries. She is also the author of the critically-acclaimed cookbook Honest to Goodness: Recipes for the Everyday Home Cook. Short-listed last year for a Taste Canada Award for the Health and Special Diet Cookbooks category, it shares her commitment to healthy eating and love for all things delicious.
Wild blueberries have always been Christine’s personal favourite for their powerful antioxidant and disease-fighting properties. They put a burst of colour and natural sweetness into any diet. With a mere 45 calories per 100 gram serving, wild blueberries are rich in manganese, high in fibre and contain double the antioxidant power of cultivated blueberries.
On August 14th join us at Wild Blueberry Wednesday to enjoy gourmet selections from street food trucks and tasty dishes made in the Wood Fired Oven by Café Belong, featuring wild blueberries and other seasonal ingredients sourced from Evergreen’s Saturday Farmers Market and Feast ON certified vendors. Save room for warm, gluten-free wild blueberry cobbler!
When: Wednesday August 14 from 5:30 pm until 10:00 pm
Where: Evergreen Brick Works (550 Bayview Ave.)
About the Wild Blueberry Association of North America
The Wild Blueberry Association of North America (WBANA) is an international trade association of growers and processors of wild blueberries from Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Maine, dedicated to bringing the wild blueberry health story and unique wild advantages to consumers and the trade worldwide. For news, recipes, and related health information about wild blueberries visit www.wildblueberryassociation.ca or www.wildblueberries.com. For the latest updates, read the blog. Visit on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.
Media: To attend, for more information, recipes, visuals or to schedule an interview with Chef Christine Tizzard, please contact Ruth Colapinto or Susan Willemsen at The Siren Group Inc.
For more information about Evergreen Brick Works, please email email@example.com or call