Bacon-Wrapped Onions with Wild Blueberry and Cheese Filling
Ingredients for 8 servings:
8 large yellow onions, peeled, tops removed
8 slices of bacon, thinly sliced
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
½ bunch rosemary, leaves picked, finely chopped, reserving a few stems for cooking
½ bunch thyme, leaves picked, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2/3 cup (150 ml) whipping cream
1 cup (250 ml) wild blueberries (frozen), defrosted, liquid strained
½ cup (125 ml) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
2/3 cup (150 ml) white wine, dry
1 bunch watercress, washed and dried
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Remove cores from onions and finely dice.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add whole onions to pot, reduce heat to low and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove onions from pot, drain on a tray lined with a kitchen towel and pat dry.
- Season each onion with salt and pepper. Wrap each onion with a slice of bacon, secure with a toothpick and place in an even layer in an oven-safe baking dish.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add diced onions and herbs, season with salt and pepper, sauté until golden and tender.
- Add garlic and cream to pan, mix together and reduce to a creamy consistency. Remove pan from stove, carefully fold in wild blueberries and cheese keeping berries whole. Once cheese has melted, pour cream mixture into center of onions.
- Add wine and reserved rosemary to bottom of oven-safe dish. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until cheese is caramelized and bacon is crisp.
- Remove onions from oven, garnish with watercress and serve.
Preparation time: approx. 35 minutes
Cooking time in the oven: 30 minutes
Energy: 190 kcal / 790 kJ
Protein: 6 g
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Sodium: 1200 ml
Wild Blue is Good for You!