Buddha Bowl with Blueberries & Citrus Cider Maple Dressing
Ingredients for 4 servings:
¾ cup (180 ml) dry chickpeas, soaked in water overnight, reserve soaking water
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 cup (250 ml) red onions, diced
1 tbsp (15 ml) Baharat spice mix (See note below)
Salt and pepper
Note: If Baharat spice mix is not available in local stores, create your own with equal amounts of dried mint, oregano, ground cinnamon, coriander, cumin, nutmeg.
¾ cup (180 ml) cups kale, big leaves
2 tbsp (30 ml) creamy peanut butter
1 tbsp (15 ml) orange juice
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
Pinch of sweet paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups (750 ml) pumpkin, peeled and cut in long thin pieces
1 tsp (5 ml) brown sugar
¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice
Salt and pepper to taste
Citrus Cider Maple Dressing:
2 tbsp (30 ml) cider vinegar
3 tbsp (45 ml) orange juice
2 tsp (10 ml) maple syrup
2 tbsp (30 ml) grape seed oil
4 tsp (20 ml) pumpkin seed oil
¾ cup kale leaves, washed, dried and chopped
1 cup (250 ml) wild blueberries (defrosted), juice strained
½ cup (125 ml) cooked tempeh, cut into pieces
1 bunch watercress, washed and dried
¼ cup (60 ml) pomegranate seeds
2 tbsp (30 ml) pumpkin seeds, roasted
- Place chickpeas in pot and cover with cold water. Soak overnight at room temperature.
- Cook chickpeas in a pot over medium-low heat with reserved soaking liquid until soft. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add red onions to pan, season with salt, pepper and Baharat mixture. Sauté until tender. Cool onions and combine with chickpeas. Set aside until assembly.
- Preheat oven to 200 °F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl, toss to coat kale. Place in one layer on baking tray.
- Bake kale in oven until crisp, approximately 20 minutes, turning the chips over half way through baking. Set aside to cool until assembly.
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl, toss to coat pumpkin. Place pumpkin in one layer on lined tray, roast in oven for approximately 25 minutes until pumpkin is tender and slightly caramelized. Set aside until assembly.
Assembly of Salad and Buddha Bowl:
- Place equal amounts of salad ingredients side-by-side in four bowls. Drizzle dressing over the salad and enjoy.
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time in the oven: 50 minutes
Energy: 530 kcal / 2220 kJ
Protein: 15 g
Fat: 37 g
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Sodium: 880 mg
Fiber: 11 g
Wild Blue is Good for You!