Chicken Sliders on Wild Blueberry Brioche Buns
Wild Blueberry Brioche Buns:
2 cups (500 ml) all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ cup (60 ml) milk powder
1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
1 tsp (5 ml) salt
2 tsp (10 ml) dry active yeast
¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, melted
½ cup (125 ml) whole milk, room temperature
1 large egg, room temperature
½ cup (125 ml) wild blueberries, frozen
Egg wash (1 egg yolk whisked with a drizzle of milk)
½ cup (125 ml) hazelnut kernels, toasted and chopped
1 tsp (5 ml) olive oil
1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
Pinch of sweet paprika
1 ripe avocado
2 tsp (10 ml) lime juice
1/3 cup (80 ml) baby arugula
¼ cup (60 ml) store-bought mango chutney
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/3 lb chicken breast, ground
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
Salt and pepper
- Place flour, milk powder, sugar, salt and dry active yeast in a bowl. Create a well in the centre.
- Whisk melted butter, milk and egg together. Pour into center of flour mixture and mix ingredients together.
- Dust a clean dry surface with flour and knead dough for approximately 10 minutes until smooth.
- Place dough in a clean bowl, cover with a large, clean kitchen towel and place in a warm spot for dough to rise for 45 minutes.
- Remove dough from bowl, gently distribute frozen wild blueberries to dough and knead just to incorporate, dusting with flour if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Divide dough in 8 equal portions, roll each piece into a ball and press down to flatten slightly. Place dough portions on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper. Cover with the kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove kitchen towel and brush tops with egg wash.
- Bake in centre of oven for 13 -15 minutes, rotating tray half way through baking. Remove buns, place on a cooling rack until assembly.
- Place hazelnuts, olive oil and honey in a pan, caramelize over medium heat. Season with paprika, salt and pepper and set aside until serving.
- Before serving, slice avocado, coat with lime juice and season with salt and pepper. Set aside before assembly.
- Mix ingredients in a bowl, form 8 patties and place on a large plate or tray.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a cast iron, or frying pan.
- Cook patties in batches on each side until caramelized and chicken is cooked through, approximately, 5-6 minutes per side.
- To assemble, place avocado slices on the bottom half of each bun, followed by Chicken Sliders, equal amounts of mango chutney, caramelized hazelnuts and arugula. Serve and enjoy.
Tip: You can also spread some liquid butter or olive oil over the buns and leave them in the oven until they are light brown. It will prevent the sauce from soaking rapidly into the bun.
Preparation time: approx. 35 minutes, plus 1 hour and 25 minutes for resting
Baking time: 16 minutes
Energy: 380 kcal / 1590 kJ
Protein: 23 g
Fat: 16 g
Carbohydrates: 35 g
Sodium: 800 mL
Fiber: 24 g
Wild Blue is Good for You!